Clear, Open And Honest Communication At Every Step

How Bankruptcy Affects Tax Debts

In addition to medical bills, credit card debt and home mortgages, taxes are another common source of debt. Unfortunately, most tax debts may not be discharged through bankruptcy. There are a few exceptions, however, and it is important to speak with a knowledgeable attorney to learn more about your options for tax debt relief. For more information about bankruptcy, tax debts and your rights, discuss your situation with the Law Offices of Brian A. Barboza. Attorney Brian Barboza has handled many bankruptcy cases and can help you understand your debt relief options regarding medical bills, credit card debt, tax debts and other forms of debt. You may be able to meet the requirements for discharging tax debts.

Contact our firm to schedule a free initial consultation. To make an appointment, call 707-304-5251 .

Learn About Your Tax Debt Options

Tax debts must meet certain criteria to be discharged in bankruptcy. These include:

  • The due date for filing a tax return was at least three years ago.
  • A tax return was filed at least two years ago.
  • The tax assessment is at least 240 days old.
  • The tax return was not fraudulent.
  • The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.

Anyone who wishes to discharge tax debts in bankruptcy must provide four previous tax returns, as well as a copy of his or her most recent tax return to the bankruptcy court. Creditors may also request a copy of the tax return. Our firm can help you understand and meet these requirements.

Schedule A Free Initial Consultation With A Lawyer To Discuss Your Tax Debts

If you are facing significant tax debts, we can help. We will help you understand your options and determine whether you meet the criteria for discharging the debt in bankruptcy. To schedule a free consultation with bankruptcy attorney Brian A. Barboza, contact us by email or by calling us at 707-304-5251. You can also call us toll-free at contact our office .

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.