Clear, Open And Honest Communication At Every Step

How do I bring my fiancé to the United States?

On Behalf of | Oct 16, 2019 | Firm News |

You have found the love of your life and cannot wait to bring them back home to Florida. However, when they are not a US citizen, you need to find a legal way to bring them to your home. Once you become engaged, you can bring them to the US using a K-1 visa. 

The U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs handles travel visas for foreign citizens. The K-1 visa allows you to marry your fiancé within 90 days of their arrival on US soil. The visa allows you to sponsor their travel. You can even bring their children using a K-2 visa for each child. 

You cannot use the K-1 visa if neither of you are eligible to marry. Within the past two years, you must have met each other which rules out spontaneous meetings at the airport in most situations. Once you meet the eligibility requirements, you file a petition then apply for the visa. 

Your fiancé must be able to show that they do not plan to become dependent on US aid to support themselves. A medical exam is necessary for all applicants and may need certain vaccinations. There are also a variety of fees that must be paid at the time of application including any photocopying, document fees, medical examination fees and processing fees. 

If you are not ready to immediately marry them, it may be better to postpone the visa until you are closer to tying the knot. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.